Work Visa for Canada

Each year, more than 300,000 foreign workers come to work in Canada on Temporary Work Permits.

In order to work in Canada on a temporary basis, most foreign workers require a work permit.

For foreign workers, an offer of employment from a Canadian employer is usually required before the worker may be granted a Temporary Work Permit by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). There are several steps to this process. Depending upon the foreign worker’s country of citizenship,

Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also need to be obtained in order to enter Canada.

  • Step 1: Employer applies for Labour Market Impact Assessment, if necessary.
  • Step 2: Employer extends Temporary Job Offer.
  • Step 3: Foreign Worker applies for Work Permit.
  • Step 4: Work Permit is issued.

A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer will issue the Canada Temporary Work Permit at the point of entry when the foreign worker arrives in Canada.


A STEM Based programme.

Canada is set to make GTS programme which offers hassle free and quick route to work in the country a permanent scheme. Duration is for 2 years.

This will benefit aspiring Indians, who have science technology and engineering background to make the most of emerging job opportunities,

The GTS programme has two categories, Category A required that the sponsoring employer must be validated by a regional developer agency.

Category B the sponsoring employers must demonstrate that they are seeking to fill in occupations on Global talent occupation List. The stipulated wages requirement must be met in both the categories.

A key element of the Global Talent Stream is that registered employers will need to commit to creating jobs for Canadians and transferring knowledge to Canadian workers, under a Labour Market Benefits Plan.

A Work Permit granted for a specific job in Canada will be tied to that job. Consequently, an employee may only work for the employer specified on his or her Work Permit. If he or she finds different employment and does not yet have permanent resident status, he or she must apply for and receive a new Work Permit before performing another job in Canada.

Media Article