Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while you study or after you graduate.
Study in Canada
To apply for the Canadian Study permit, you will also have to pay a fee of 150 CAD. Depending on your situation, Canadian authorities will allow you to pay this fee online, on location at a visa application centre in India, or through a bank transfer.
You can study in Canada if you:
- are enrolled at a designated universities-
- prove you have enough money to pay for your:
- tuition fees
- living expenses for yourself
- return transportation for yourself
- obey the law, have no criminal record and get a police certificate (if required)
- are in good health and get a medical exam (if required)
- prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your study permit expires
To qualify for a Canadian study permit, you need to:
- Be enrolled at a designated learning institution.
- Show proof of funds to cover your tuition fees, living costs, return travel.
- Have no criminal record.
- Be in good health (you might need to complete a medical exam).
- Prove that you will be leaving Canada after your studies.
Get your documents ready
Before you apply for a study permit, you need:
- an acceptance letter from a designated university.
- a valid passport or travel document.
- proof you can support yourself.
How to apply
Generally, you must apply for a study permit before you come to Canada. Some people can apply for a study permit from within Canada. In some cases, you can apply when you arrive in Canada at the port of entry. Make sure you understand which option is available to you.
The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada. Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. You should apply before you travel to Canada.
Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If we approve your study permit, we’ll issue one to you with your study permit.
Canadian student visa requirements also include proof of funds to support self. At present this is deemed to be CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your stay (CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec) on top of your tuition fees.
Most students studying for more than 6 months in Canada will need a Canadian Study Permit, as Canadian student visas are known.
If the visa officer is not satisfied and finds you a potential immigrant, then your Student Visa can be rejected. It does not mean that students cannot extend their visa. Canada is known for its visa friendly policies for international students. You can extend your visa by following the due process.
There are several steps to apply for a visa.
- Check the processing times – The visa application cycle might take anywhere from 3-4 weeks. It is advisable to go through the Canadian consulate website to know the approximate time taken to process the student visa. Please note that the time shown is not a guarantee and is just an estimate.
- Determine how you will apply. There are two ways to apply:
(a) Apply online
To apply online you must have access to a scanner or camera to create electronic copies of your documents for uploading and have a valid credit card for payment. You will still be required to provide a finger scan at the regional Visa Application Centre (VAC). Remember, in the case of Online Application you need to visit the VFS offices to hand your passports and would have to provide the confirmation of form and fee payment as well. The steps would only vary in terms of documents you need to carry to the VAC.
(b) Apply in person
Download the application kit and read the instruction guide. The instruction guide contains important information about study permits and instructions to help you complete your application. Read the guide carefully and use the document checklist.
- Fill out the VFS Consent Form and attach it with your application form. You need this form to get the assistance of VFS services for your visa filing process.
- Pay the processing fee – Note that when submitting an application via the VFS, in person or by mail, visa fees must be paid in addition to VFS Global service charges. The processing fee is non-refundable in all cases.
To find out if you need to give biometrics, please visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/biometrics.asp
Study Permit Renewal
For staying in Canada, students need to have a valid study permit. If, in case, your study permit expires before completion of your studies (program) then you need to apply for renewal of study permit. Ideally, you should apply at least30 days before your current permit expires. Candidates can submit their application through mail or online.
For an undergraduate degree, the Canadian high commission requires 6.0 bands in the IELTS Exam with no band less than 5.5. Also, for the postgraduate degree, candidates require overall 6.5 bands with no band less than 6.0.